首页  | 新闻播报

Anti-terror campaign launched

中国日报网 2014-05-26 10:59

分享到微信

Get Flash Player

Download

China will conduct a one-year nationwide campaign against terrorism after a series of violent and deadly attacks by terrorists and religious extremists.

The Ministry of Public Security announced the decision during a video conference withpolice chiefs around the country on Sunday.

Yang Huanning, executive vice-minister of public security, said the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region would be the main battlefield.

It is urgent to cope with the complicated fight against terrorism and to ensure social stability and national security, he said.

Yang also told police to "suppress the momentum of rising violent terrorism in Xinjiangand stop the spread of violent terrorism and religious extremism to other regions".

The announcement came just one day after the Xinjiang regional government launched a one-year battle against terrorists.

It is also the toughest measure that China has taken to fight terrorism after attackers killed 39 people and injured 94 at a morning marketplace in Urumqi on Thursday.

In Xinjiang, police launched a raid against terrorist suspects on Sunday morning and arrested an unspecified number of suspects.

So far this year, police have detained more than 200 terrorist suspects in 23 groups and found more than 200 explosive devices in Hotan, Kashgar and Aksu prefectures in southern Xinjiang where terrorism and religious extremism are active.

Questions:

1. China will conduct a one year, nationwide campaign against what?

2. Which area will be the main battlefield?

3. How many terrorist suspects have been detained so far this year?

Answers:

1. Terrorism.

2. Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region.

3. More than 200.

(中国日报网英语点津 Julie 编辑)

About the broadcaster:

Anne Ruisi is an editor at China Daily online with more than 30 years of experience as a newspaper editor and reporter. She has worked at newspapers in the U.S., including The Birmingham News in Alabama and City Newspaper of Rochester, N.Y.

 

中国日报网英语点津版权说明:凡注明来源为“中国日报网英语点津:XXX(署名)”的原创作品,除与中国日报网签署英语点津内容授权协议的网站外,其他任何网站或单位未经允许不得非法盗链、转载和使用,违者必究。如需使用,请与010-84883561联系;凡本网注明“来源:XXX(非英语点津)”的作品,均转载自其它媒体,目的在于传播更多信息,其他媒体如需转载,请与稿件来源方联系,如产生任何问题与本网无关;本网所发布的歌曲、电影片段,版权归原作者所有,仅供学习与研究,如果侵权,请提供版权证明,以便尽快删除。
本文相关阅读
5af95d3ba3103f6866ee845a

49 deals cement partnership

5af95d3ba3103f6866ee845a

China bans Windows 8 from govt computers

5af95d3ba3103f6866ee845a

Gas deal supplies energy diversification

5af95d3ba3103f6866ee845a

Iran's president seeks closer ties

订阅和关注
人气排行