首页  | 新闻播报

双语新闻播报(January 5)

chinadaily.com.cn 2023-01-05 15:36


>2023 Spring Festival Gala holds first rehearsal


On Monday, China Media Group (CMG) held the first rehearsal for the 2023 Spring Festival Gala. Following the concept of continuous innovation, the rehearsal achieved preliminary results in the presentation of various performances and techniques.


Watching the Spring Festival Gala, or Chunwan in Chinese, is an indispensable part of the celebrations for Chinese people to ring in the Lunar New Year, the most important Chinese festival centering on family reunions.


With the first broadcast from 1983, the 2023 Spring Festival Gala marks the 40-year history of the gala.


A variety of performances are designed to highlight the 2023 Spring Festival Gala.


More rehearsals will take place in the following days, before the gala is aired on Jan 21, 2023, Chinese New Year's Eve.

>Microbes could be to blame for gaining weight at Christmas


Researchers have studied how much energy Danish people take from their food, based on analysis of their feces and the microbes within. They found roughly 40 percent of the participants have microbes that on average extract more energy from food compared to the other 60 percent.


The new study, published in the journal Microbiome, was led by experts at the University of Copenhagen's Department of Nutrition, Exercise and Sports.


"We may have found a key to understanding why some people gain more weight than others, even when they don't eat more or any differently, but this needs to be investigated further," said study author Professor Henrik Roager.


For the study, the experts analyzed the gut microbiota – the trillion-strong community of microorganisms in the gut – from participants' stool samples.


The researchers describe the gut microbiota "like an entire galaxy in our gut", with a staggering 100 billion of them per gram of feces.


The research team studied the residual energy in the feces of 85 overweight Danes aged 22 to 66 to estimate how effective their gut microbes were at extracting energy from food.


At the same time, they mapped the composition of gut microbes for each participant.


Participants were divided into three groups, based on the composition of their gut microbes — "B-type", "R-type" and "P-type".

B-type has repeatedly been linked with a Western lifestyle low in microbiota-accessible carbohydrates (MACs) typically found in fruits and vegetables, compared with P-type, for example, linked with a diet rich in MACs.


The so-called B-type composition, seen in 40 per cent of the participants, was more effective at extracting nutrients from food, the experts found.


The researchers also found that those who extracted the most energy from food weighed 10 percent more on average, amounting to an extra nine kilograms.


The effectiveness of extracting nutrients in B-type people may result in more calories being available from the same amount of food – possibly leading to obesity.


"Bacteria's metabolism of food provides extra energy in the form of short-chain fatty acids – molecules that our body can use as energy-supplying fuel," said Professor Roager. "But if we consume more than we burn, the extra energy provided by the intestinal bacteria may increase the risk of obesity over time."


Although the scientists only used a small sample of Danish participants, it's possible the findings could be applied to other global populations.


Overall, the results indicate that being overweight might not just be related to how healthily one eats or the amount of exercise one gets, but it may also have something to do with the microbes in our gut.


Find more audio news on the China Daily App.

中国日报网 英语点津微信
中国日报网 双语小程序