No one wants to look silly or do the wrong thing at a new job. It is
important to make the right impression- not the wrong one - from the very first
day. You will face new people. You will be in a new place. It may be difficult
to know what to do. Here are seven tips to help you make it through the first
days at a new job:
1. First impressions can last forever. Make sure you make a good one. Before
your first day, find out if your new job has a dress code (rules about what you
can wear to work). If so, be sure to follow it. No matter what, always be neat
2. Get to work on time. Employers value employees who come to work right on
time. Give yourself an extra 15 minutes to make sure you arrive on time.
3. Pay attention to introductions. One of the first things that your
supervisor may do is to introduce you to co-workers. These co-workers will be
important to you. They are the ones who will answer your questions when the boss
is not around. 注意听介绍。你的上级首先可能做的事情之一是把你介绍给同事。这些同事对你可很重要。当老板不在时，他们可以回答你的问题。
4. Ask plenty of questions. Make sure that your supervisor has told you what
is expected of you. If he or she has not told you your job duties, ask for a
list. Set daily and weekly goals for yourself.
5. Do not take too long for lunch. What is the lunch-hour policy at your new
job? You can find out from your supervisor or your company's personnel
department. For example, do people eat at their desks or does everyone take a
full hour outside the
6. Do not make personal phone calls. You should never make personal phone
calls to your friends and family unless it is an emergency.
7. Never be the first one to leave. Observe how your co-workers behave around
quitting time. It does no look good for you to be eager to leave.
（来源：网易 上海对外贸易学院通讯员俞敏供稿 英语点津 Annabel 编辑）