English 中文网 漫画网 爱新闻iNews 翻译论坛
当前位置: Language Tips> 天天读报> 每日播报

UK welcomes closer links with China

[ 2010-09-16 13:39]     字号 [] [] []  
免费订阅30天China Daily双语新闻手机报:移动用户编辑短信CD至106580009009

进入英语学习论坛下载音频 去听写专区一展身手

The United Kingdom welcomes more investment from Chinese companies, and the new coalition government would like to see closer ties with China, a visiting UK official said on Wednesday.

UK Foreign Office Minister of State Jeremy Browne made the comments at a press briefing in Beijing. While stressing Britain's strong commitment to open markets and free trade, the 40-year-old said he hopes British businesses will similarly be given more opportunities in China.

Browne said it was his first trip to Beijing and his second time in the country. In addition, "I'm keen to be a frequent visitor to other parts of China," he said.

The minister also expressed concerns about the well being of Britons who choose to live, study and do business in China.

Before arriving in Beijing, Browne attended the Law and Justice Week at the Shanghai Expo as part of the UK pavilion's programs. "Legal reform in China matters to us, as more British companies do business with China and more British citizens come to China to visit, study or live," he said.

Another purpose of Browne's visit was to learn from Beijing the Olympics experience ahead of the London Olympics in 2012.

Browne, however, demurred in the face of questions, based on an earlier report in London's Daily Mail tabloid, as to whether the actual Olympic medals for the 2012 games will be made in China, instead of by a traditional British company.

"I don't know whether the gold, or silver or bronze are being made (in China) this time," he said.

British companies have been awarded 97 per cent of London's Olympic contracts. Regarding the remaining 3 percent, meanwhile, Browne said he welcomes more Chinese involvement.

China's cultural values will also be spotlighted in the year of the London Olympics, when China joins the London Book Fair in 2012 as the Market Focus Country of Honor.

Martin Davidson, the British Council chief executive, said: "Many people in the UK would admit to knowing little about the lives and attitudes of the people of China.

"Collaboration in literature and publishing is a powerful way to learn about each other's values and culture," he added. "Improved understanding builds trust. And trust underpins greater cooperation, improved partnerships, and stronger trade."


(中国日报网英语点津 Helen 编辑)

UK welcomes closer links with China

About the broadcaster:

UK welcomes closer links with China

Nelly Min is an editor at China Daily with more than 10 years of experience as a newspaper editor and photographer. She has worked at major newspapers in the U.S., including the Los Angeles Times and the Detroit Free Press. She is fluent in Korean and has a 2-year-old son.