So based on those five principles, what are the seven actions that you need to take?
那么在这5个原则上,你还需要哪7个行动呢?
Number one: listen a lot.
第一,多听。
I call it brain soaking。
我把它叫做泡脑子。
You put yourself in a context where you're hearing tons and tons and tons of a language and it doesn't matter if you understand it or not。
你把自己置放在听很多很多语言的环境当中,听得明白与否无关重要。
You're listening to the rhythm ,you're listening to the patterns that repeat, you're listening to things that stand out。
在听的时候,你是在听它的节奏、听它重复的模式、听凸出来的词语。
So, just soak your brain in this.
像这个泡泡你的脑子。
The second action: is that you get the meaning first, even before you get the words.
第二个行动是在获取单词之前先获取它的意思。
You go “Well how do I do that?”,
你可能在想,这个我怎么知道的呢?
I don't know the words. Well, you understand what these different postures mean.
我不知道那些单词! 但你可以理解那些不同手势代表的含义。
Human communication is body language in many, many ways, so much body language.
身体语言占领人类交流的一大部分。
From body language you can understand a lot of communication, therefore, you're understanding, you're acquiring through comprehensible input.
从身体语言,你可以理解很多对话内容,因此,你通过可明白输入理解、获取它的含义。
And you can also use patterns that you already know.
你还可以利用你已经知道的模式。
If you're a Chinese speaker of Mandarin and Cantonese and you go Vietnam, you will understand 60% of what they say to you in daily conversation, because Vietnamese is about 30% Mandarin, 30% Cantonese.
如果你是说国语和粤语,当你去到越南,你可以明白60%的日常用语,因为越南话有30%的国语和30%的粤语。
The third action: start mixing.
第三个行动:开始混合。
You probably have never thought of this but if you've got ten verbs, ten nouns and ten adjectives you can say one thousand different things.
你可能之前没有想过这个,但如果你有10个动词,10个名词和10个形容词,你可以说1000句不同的话。
Language is a creative process.
语言是创造的过程。
What do babies do?
孩子是怎么做的呢?
Okay: me, bat(h), now, okay, that's how they communicate.
我,澡澡,现在。。。这就是他们说话的方式。
So start mixing, get creative, have fun with it, it doesn't have to be perfect it just has to work.
所以现在开始混合、创造并从中获得趣味。你不需要做到完美,你能沟通就好。
And when you're doing this you focus on the core.
而且当你这样做的时候,你把注意力放在核心上。
What does that mean?
这意味着什么?
Well any language has high frequency content.
任何语言都有它的高频内容。
In English 1000 words covers 85% of anything you're ever going to say in daily communication.
英语有1000个高频词覆盖你85%的日常交流。
3000 words gives you 98% of anything you're going to say in daily conversation.
而3000个高频词将覆盖98%的日常交流。
You got 3000 words, you're speaking the language.
你有3000个高频词,你将可以说一门外语。
The rest is icing on the cake.
剩余的是锦上添花。
And when you're just begging with a new language start with the tool box.
当你开始学习一门外语,从工具箱开始。
Week number one in your new language you say things like: ‘how do you say that?'
第一周,你会用新语言说一些像这样的话“那个你怎么说?”
‘I don't understand,'
“我不明白,”
‘repeat that please,'
“请重复,”
‘what does that mean,'
“那是什么意思”,
all in your target language.
全都用你的目标语言。
You're using it as a tool, making it useful to you, it's relevant to learn other things about the language.
你把它当做工具来用,并且利用好它,这对学习该门语言的其他东西是有重大关系的。
It's by week two that you should be saying things like: ‘me,' ‘this,' ‘you,' ‘that,' ‘give,' you know, ‘hot,' simple pronouns, simple nouns, simple verbs, simple adjectives, communicating like a baby.
第二周,你应该会说一些像“我”、“这个”、“你”、“那个”、“给”、“热”,像个孩子一样用这些简单的代词、名词、动词、形容词来沟通。
And by the third or fourth week, you're getting into what I call glue words.
然后第三或第四周,你会进入我称为“胶水词”的这部分。
‘Although,' ‘but,' ‘therefore,' these are logical transformers that tie bits of a language together, allowing you to make more complex meaning。
“虽然”、“但是”、“因此”,这些逻辑工具帮助你把语言的小块紧密地结合在一起,让你制造更多复杂的意思。
At that point you're talking。
在那个阶段,你已经进入说话的阶段了! 。
And when you're doing that, you should get yourself a language parent.
当你这样做的时候,你应该给自己找位语言家长。
If you look at how children and parents interact, you'll understand what this means.
如果你看看孩子和父母之间的互动,你会明白这个什么意思的。
When a child is speaking, it'll be using simple words, simple combinations, sometimes quite strange, sometimes very strange pronunciation and other people from outside the family don't understand it.
当一个孩子说话,它会用简单的词,简单的组合,而有时候会发生奇怪甚至是非常怪的声音,如果不是家里人根本就不懂它在说什么。
But the parents do.
但是父母却知道。
And so the kid has a safe environment, gets confidence.
因此,孩子有个安全的环境,然后变得有自信。
The parents talk to the children with body language and with simple language which they know the child understands.
父母用孩子可以理解的身体语言和简单句子跟他们说话。
So we have a comprehensible input environment that's safe, we know it works otherwise none of you would speak your mother tongue.
因此我们有一个很安全的可明白输入的环境。我们知道这个有用,不然的话我们都不会说自己的母语。
15:55 So you get yourself a language parent, who's somebody interested in you as a person who will communicate with you essentially as an equal, but pay attention to help you understand the message.
因此你可以给自己找个语言家长,他是对你感兴趣的一个人,可以跟你沟通得上的,也可以是能够帮助你理解的同龄人。