English 中文网 漫画网 爱新闻iNews 翻译论坛
当前位置: Language Tips > Special Speed News VOA慢速

A blog with answers for foreign students

[ 2012-05-15 15:07]     字号 [] [] []  
免费订阅30天China Daily双语新闻手机报:移动用户编辑短信CD至106580009009

This is the VOA Special English Education Report.

International students have a lot of questions about studying in the United States. But what do you suppose is the most common question?

We asked an expert right here in our building. Jessica Stahl is editor of VOA's Student Union blog. Jess blogs for international students interested in American higher education.

JESSICA STAHL: "I think the number one question that I get is financial aid and scholarships. People want to know, 'How do I get money?' Unfortunately, of all the questions that I get, that's the one with the most complicated answer."

A blog with answers for foreign students

The short answer is this: Financial aid programs are often just for American students. But programs for international students do exist. You just have to look for them.

Jess says probably the next most often asked question is about language skills.

JESSICA STAHL: "'How do I improve my English, TOEFL level?' Because they have to take the TOEFL exam to apply to colleges, so [there is] a lot of concern about getting up to the level that they need on that exam."

Of course, one way many students improve their English is with Special English, like this program. But we like the Student Union's Glossary of Confusing Words used in education. Readers can send in suggestions.

One newly added word is "catalog."

"A university catalog (or college catalog) is an official publication that contains all the information a current or prospective student might need about academics and student services at a university."

Jess has a group of foreign student bloggers at American schools. Even they were unsure what a catalog is. The students share their experiences studying in the United States -- for example, how they feel when they face cultural stereotypes. Simba, from Zimbabwe, recently wrote about going to lunch with a group of American students. Simba said he felt hurt when one of them was surprised to learn that Facebook is available in Zimbabwe.

Jess says the Student Union and its Facebook page get a lot of comments.

JESSICA STAHL: "I hear from a lot of Chinese students, a lot of Pakistani students -- one of our big audiences -- Nigeria, Indonesia. Pretty much all over the world."

Jess gave us a list of websites where you can research colleges and universities, financial aid and much more. We'll post the list at voaspecialenglish.com. She says the only "must-know" site for all international students is EducationUSA, from the State Department. The address is educationusa.info. And if you only know one other site it should be Study in the States, from the Department of Homeland Security. That address is studyinthestates.dhs.gov.

And that's the VOA Special English Education Report, written by Jerilyn Watson. I'm Bob Doughty.

Related stories:


China tops list of overseas students in US

Students delay study plans in Japan

Students' woes come as windfall to overseas agents

(来源:VOA 编辑:旭燕)