Snoopy named top dog in pop culture
The "Peanuts" comic strip character Snoopy was named the top dog in pop culture by the American Kennel Club on Tuesday as part of its 125th anniversary celebration, beating out a college sports mascot.
Nearly 76,000 online voters chose their favorites from a list of pop culture dogs drawn from television, film, literature, sports and art, the kennel club said.
Snoopy was the pensive dog whose best friend was a bird and who seemed to be smarter than his human master in the comic strip created by the late Charles Schulz, who died in 2000.
"Peanuts," which for close to five decades served as a mirror for the baby boom generation, appeared in 2,600 newspapers in 21 languages. Its daily readership was believed to be the most of any comic strip in history.
Second place went to Texas A&M University's mascot Reveille, followed by Scooby Doo, the television cartoon character.
The top 10:
1. Snoopy 史努比
2. Texas A&M's Reveille 得克萨斯州A&M大学的Reveille
3. Scooby Doo 大丹狗史酷比
4. Eddie from the TV show "Frasier"美剧《弗雷泽》中的艾迪
5. Pound Puppy toys 毛绒玩具趴趴狗
6. Painting "Dogs Playing Poker"绘画《狗狗打扑克》
7. 歌曲 "How Much is that Doggie in the Window"
8. Georgetown's Jack the Bulldog 乔治城大学体育吉祥物--牛头犬杰克
9. 嘻哈组合Baha Men的作品 "Who Let the Dogs Out"
10. Brian Griffin from the animated TV show Family Guy 动画片《居家男人》中的Brian Griffin