当前位置: Language Tips> 名著选读

暖心小说《小王子》第3章

爱词霸 2016-02-26 13:28

分享到

 

暖心小说《小王子》第3章

It took me a long time to learn where he came from. The little prince, who asked me so many questions, never seemed to hear the ones I asked him. It was from words dropped by chance that, little by little, everything was revealed to me.
我费了好长时间才弄清楚他是从哪里来的。小王子向我提出了很多问题。可是对我提出的问题,他好像压根没有听见似的。他无意中吐露的一些话逐渐使我搞清了他的来历。

The first time he saw my airplane, for instance (I shall not draw my airplane; that would be much too complicated for me), he asked me:
例如,当他第一次瞅见我的飞机时(我就不画出我的飞机了,因为这种图画对我来说太复杂),他问我道:

"What is that object?"
“这是个啥玩艺?”

"That is not an object. It flies. It is an airplane. It is my airplane."
“这不是‘玩艺儿’。它能飞。这是飞机。是我的飞机。”

And I was proud to have him learn that I could fly. He cried out, then:
我当时很骄傲地告诉他我能飞。于是他惊奇地说道:

"What! You dropped down from the sky?"
“怎么?你是从天上掉下来的?”

"Yes," I answered, modestly.
“是的”。我谦逊地答道。

"Oh! That is funny!"
“啊?这真滑稽。”

And the little prince broke into a lovely peal of laughter, which irritated me very much. I like my misfortunes to be taken seriously.
此时小王子发出一阵清脆的笑声。这使我很不高兴。我要求别人严肃地对待我的不幸。

Then he added:
然后,他又说道:

"So you, too, come from the sky! Which is your planet?"
“那么,你也是从天上来的了!你是哪个星球上的?”

At that moment I caught a gleam of light in the impenetrable mystery of his presence; and I demanded, abruptly:
即刻,对于他是从哪里来的这个秘密我隐约发现到了一点线索;于是,我就突然问道:

"Do you come from another planet?"
“你是从另一个星球上来的吗?”

But he did not reply. He tossed his head gently, without taking his eyes from my plane:
可是他不回答我的问题。他一面看着我的飞机,一面微微地点点头,接着说道:

"It is true that on that you can't have come from very far away…"
“可不是么,乘坐这玩艺儿,你不可能是从很远的地方来的……”

And he sank into a reverie, which lasted a long time. Then, taking my sheep out of his pocket, he buried himself in the contemplation of his treasure.
说到这里,他就长时间地陷入沉思之中。然后,从口袋里掏出了我画的小羊,看着他的宝贝入了神。

You can imagine how my curiosity was aroused by this half-confidence about the "other planets." I made a great effort, therefore, to find out more on this subject.
你们可以想见这种关于“别的星球”的若明若暗的话语使我心里多么好奇。因此我竭力地想知道其中更多的奥秘。

"My little man, where do you come from? What is this 'where I live,' of which you speak? Where do you want to take your sheep?"
“你是从哪里来的,我的小家伙?你的家在什么地方?你要把我的小羊带到哪里去?”

After a reflective silence he answered:
他沉思了一会,然后回答我说:

"The thing that is so good about the box you have given me is that at night he can use it as his house."
“好在有你给我的那只箱子,夜晚可以给小羊当房子用。”

"That is so. And if you are good I will give you a string, too, so that you can tie him during the day, and a post to tie him to."
“那当然。如果你听话的话,我再给你画一根绳子,白天可以栓住它。再加上一根扦杆。”

But the little prince seemed shocked by this offer:
我的建议看来有点使小王子反感。

"Tie him! What a queer idea!"
“栓住它,多么奇怪的主意。”

"But if you don't tie him," I said, "he will wander off somewhere, and get lost."
“如果你不栓住它,它就到处跑,那么它会跑丢的。”

My friend broke into another peal of laughter:
我的这位朋友又笑出了声:

"But where do you think he would go?"
“你想要它跑到哪里去呀?”

"Anywhere. Straight ahead of him."
“不管什么地方。它一直往前跑……”

Then the little prince said, earnestly:
这时,小王子郑重其事地说:

"That doesn't matter. Where I live, everything is so small!"
“这没有什么关系,我那里很小很小。”

And, with perhaps a hint of sadness, he added:
接着,他略带伤感地又补充了一句:

"Straight ahead of him, nobody can go very far…"
“一直朝前走,也不会走出多远……”

(来源:爱词霸  编辑:Julie)

上一篇 : 外国读者评《三体》
下一篇 :

 

分享到

中国日报网英语点津版权说明:凡注明来源为“中国日报网英语点津:XXX(署名)”的原创作品,除与中国日报网签署英语点津内容授权协议的网站外,其他任何网站或单位未经允许不得非法盗链、转载和使用,违者必究。如需使用,请与010-84883561联系;凡本网注明“来源:XXX(非英语点津)”的作品,均转载自其它媒体,目的在于传播更多信息,其他媒体如需转载,请与稿件来源方联系,如产生任何问题与本网无关;本网所发布的歌曲、电影片段,版权归原作者所有,仅供学习与研究,如果侵权,请提供版权证明,以便尽快删除。

中国日报网双语新闻

扫描左侧二维码

添加Chinadaily_Mobile
你想看的我们这儿都有!

中国日报双语手机报

点击左侧图标查看订阅方式

中国首份双语手机报
学英语看资讯一个都不能少!

关注和订阅

本文相关阅读
人气排行
热搜词
 
 
精华栏目
 

阅读

词汇

视听

翻译

口语

合作

 

关于我们 | 联系方式 | 招聘信息

Copyright by chinadaily.com.cn. All rights reserved. None of this material may be used for any commercial or public use. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited. 版权声明:本网站所刊登的中国日报网英语点津内容,版权属中国日报网所有,未经协议授权,禁止下载使用。 欢迎愿意与本网站合作的单位或个人与我们联系。

电话:8610-84883645

传真:8610-84883500

Email: languagetips@chinadaily.com.cn